Tuesday, December 29, 2009

283: Kennedy Center Honors

I AM CERTAIN THAT AFTER THE DUST OF CENTURIES HAS PASSED OVER OUR CITIES, WE, TOO, WILL BE REMEMBERED NOT FOR VICTORIES OR DEFEATS IN BATTLE OR IN POLITICS, BUT FOR OUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE HUMAN SPIRIT.
-John F. Kennedy, On behalf of the National Cultural Center which would come to bear his name November 29, 1962

Tonight I had the pleasure of watching the 2009 Kennedy Center Honors ceremony with Eddie, his grandparents and Eleni. It was a wonderful ceremony filled with everything that is great about the arts. I particularly enjoyed seeing the Obamas enjoying the music. I love watching them and feel that they are really getting a kick out of some of the opportunities that have been given to them with the office, including rocking it out to the Bruce Springsteen tribute tonight.

I hope that the Kennedy Center Honors continue for years to come. I love seeing the "old classics" like Mel Brooks and Dave Brubeck and find it odd to think about that artists of my generation will be honored in years to come. While I believe they don't make 'em like they used to, there are still truly great artists, musicians, actors, etc. out there. Which actors or singers will stand the test of time to prove their talent and passion?
Here is a shot of the living room of Eddie, MomMom and PopPop (my loyal reader!) enjoying the show. (Eleni-Sorry you weren't in the frame!)

No comments: