Saturday, January 16, 2010

301: Good & Plenty

I am one of a small percentage of Americans that really loves Good & Plenty the candy. I got some today and was very pleased at how fresh they were. Curious, I went out online to see what I could learn about this tasty candy that I could share along with my photo.

Fun Facts about Good & Plenty, courtesty of Wikipedia:

-Good & Plenty was first produced by the Quaker City Confectionery Company in 1893 and is the oldest branded candy in the United States.

-The pink candies are colored with a red dye called K-Carmine that is produced from the bodies of the female Cochineal beetle. However, the current packaging lists the red dye as "Artificial Color (K-Carmine and Red 40)".

-They are mentioned in an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond entitled when Ray mentions that his brother Robert separates them by colour, calling the white ones " the good ", because they are, and the pink ones " the plenty ", because there are more of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I read your comments (seeing the picture first), the scene from ELR, where Robert admits to separating the "Good" from the "Plenty" came to my mind.

Andrea

KT said...

The beetle thing was too much! Blech!

The Fox Den said...

yum!