Friday, September 11, 2009

173 & 174

173: Trivia Thursday

Nothing real special of this photo other than Jacqui's nice nails. :-) Just a shot of our answer sheet before we turned it in. We didn't place this week, which is sad, but I love getting to spend time with the people that come.

174: Never forget...

Each year on this day I take the time to read the monologue that Jon Stewart gave when The Daily Show returned to air after September 11th. I am moved everytime that I read it and it is a good way to remember how we all felt and what that day did to our country. I won't copy the whole monologue here but will include my favorite paragraph. (You can watch the monologue in its entirety online on this webpage. )

"The view from my apartment was the World Trade Center... And now it's gone. And they attacked it. This symbol of... of American ingenuity and strength... and labor and imagination and commerce and it's gone. But you know what the view is now? The Statue of Liberty. The view from the south of Manhattan is the Statue of Liberty. You can’t beat that. " -Jon Stewart

This photo is from the flag display that was put out on the Great Lawn on campus. It is a CNU tradition and it's always a good reminder for the students (some of which were only 10 when 9-11 happened), staff and faculty.

3 comments:

KT said...

It's crazy to think that 9/11 was so long ago. We played "America the Beautiful" tonight at halftime (with IT), but it's obvious that the kids don't get it. Then you realize that our freshman were SIX years old in 2001.

Love that Jon Stewart quote, too. And I love you. :)

Eric said...

Absolutely beautiful capture. I love the foreground flags, and the pillars in the background. Very powerful.

Wilagins said...

Never saw that before, I didn't get Comedy Central when I was at Camp Pendleton and it is kinda weird to think how so many people were so young 8 years ago when all I wanted to do was get to work so I could do my job of makeing sure it didn't happen again.