Sunday, July 5, 2009

106: 'ello Guv-nah

CNU is hosting Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts this summer and the students will be moving in soon. This is a program that I was a part of in the summer of 1998 at the University of Richmond. It was one of the most influential experiences of not only my young life but my life in general. It was the first chance to really get out of my comfort zone, to meet a very diverse group of people, to find out who I was becoming and to embrace music and the arts in a way that I hadn't before. I have very fond memories of the friends that I made there and of the experiences I was able to have.

In perusing the CNU website for the program I noticed that Dr. Eric Ruple is on the faculty still as part of the program. He was one of my professors during Governor's School (and also got to see him at JMU since he was a member of the music faculty). It was funny to read his bio because it mentioned his daughter, who was born the week before the Governor's School that I attended. Time flies...

So in honor of Governor's School tonight I photographed a figure that I created during one of my afternoon classes. I can't remember the exact assignment but this little guy travelled with me through four years of college, three post-graduation apartments and two residence hall apartments as a married woman. He's a little weird looking but I enjoy him and like having him on my shelf as a reminder of the wonderful month I spent at Governor's School.

No comments: