Friday, July 10, 2009

110 and 111: Adventures in Student Affairs

As many of you know, Student Affairs is not my first "career"....I started out in music education. I have really enjoyed my experiences learning about Student Affairs over the last three years while working in the office here at CNU. I've been able to be pretty involved and was excited to be able to go to a conference at Lynchburg College. Last night Eddie and I drove up to Lynchburg and stayed in a campus apartment with the other CNU attendees. I liked the color of the extra-long twin mattress and made it my subject for the photo of the day. (The internet was pretty lousy, hence the lack of posting until today.)

The conference theme was "It's My Life" and had sessions about balancing life and work within Student Affairs. I love learning new things and thinking about things in new ways so I really enjoyed myself. I will have a blogpost at some point in the future involving the conference giveaway that we received from the keynote speaker. Today's photo is not from the conference but instead from O'Charley's where Eddie and I stopped on our way home for dinner. (I love their California Chicken Salad and we don't have an O'Charley's around here so it was a treat.) One thing that I like about the O'Charley's chain is that they personalize the mural to have items, people, landmarks, etc. that have to do with the region. The one in Harrisonburg features a JMU football player and a UFO.....not sure why there is a UFO but it's there. The O'Charley's we went to in Amelia County is the subject of today's photo of the day:


I was very much amused by the giraffe's placement right behind Patric Henry's words...almost as if he was speaking them himself. Not sure what giraffe's have to do with the middle-of-nowhere Virginia....maybe Harrisonburg's UFOs dropped them off?

Note: Eddie and I are heading up to New York/Jersey tomorrow morning via plane. I expect to have internet there but may not on Sunday and Monday because we'll be on Cape Cod(!).

No comments: